Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Twitter is for crazy people too. Sadly.

Today I got a follow notice in my Twitter account.  I usually check the profiles of people who will be following me.  I want to follow them back to build my tribe, but I don't want to follow or be followed by people who will only bring me down.  I checked the profile of this young lady.  She has a face shot and the wallpaper is her, I presume, looking jubilant in a bikini.  Attractive.

Her profile said that if you aren't living on the edge, then you are taking up too much space.  It also said that there was a fine line between social media and wasting your life.  It ended with a one word sentence:  Conservative. 

 Given some of the people I follow (Ricky Gervais, Ellen DeGeneres and John Stewart) and the interests I have, and my background, this tweeter did not seem like a good fit for me.  Her most recent tweets were sardonic criticisms of Anthony Wiener and his escapades.  He probably deserves it, but nobody is perfect.  But such vitriol from this Anne Coulter wannabe. It was too much.  I sent her a message telling her that while I thought A. Wiener would like her picture, I thought she would be wasting her life following me.  It was a minor play on her tweets and her profile.

She sprung back on me like a cornered badger. Four quick tweets.

She accused me of overcompensating for something, alleged that I had a talent for playing the bongos (is this bad?), suggested I used pot, and then said I had both a "well justified inferiority complex" and an inflated ego.  She finished by telling me that the village called and it wanted its idiot back.  I responded to that one only with "okay, I'll tell them you're ready."  No more insults.

That tirade was not unpredictable.  In fact, it seemed likely considering her existing tweets.  I am so sad that she then unfollowed me and went back to beating up on Carlos Danger. 

Had we been in the same room, would she have gone off like that?  No.  Probably not.  More likely II could have said the same thing, and she'd still be hoping that I would hire her as a secretary, despite her obvious flaws.  Twitter is wide open. Anybody can join.  Anybody.   You can't choose who follows you, but you might want to be choosy about who you follow back. Life is too short for crazy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment