Sunday, July 21, 2013

Skipping Church

My wife and children are Greek Orthodox Christians.  I just drive them to church, pay the fair share and volunteer at the annual Greek Festivals.  Other than my secular duties, I have no skin in that game.  I am pretty sure that every religion sprung from a myth about a story rooted in the identical, sole kernel of truth, so I'm not going to sweat the dogma.

As I look around my congregation I see many who seem to share my views.  We show up for the same mass every week, dutifully send the kids to Sunday school and take turns staffing the gyro line at the annual food festival.

At this church, God takes the summer off. He comes back after the festival, a week after Labor Day.  I like His accommodating schedule.  I skipped church today.  I promised to work a little extra at the gyro line.  Easy penance.  I am grateful for the day off and for the time making gyros though. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment