Friday, August 30, 2013

Going Dry

I gave up recreational alcohol on July 7, 2013.  Not a drop of wine, spirits or beer crossed my lips until August 17, 2013. 
My effort at abstinence was an attempt to evaluate alcohol's effect on my health, and to determine whether I actually had a dependency problem.  At 45, I had been having a drink or two a few days a week for decades.  Some days more, some less.  Some days not at all.  But when alcohol becomes part of a regular diet,  one might start to wonder.

I wondered.

It turns out that I am not an alcoholic and that I actually prefer an alcohol free body.  There are several reasons. 

First, the sleep quality of an alcohol free body.  I have always loved a nap and my brain is fairly abrupt when calling for sleep at the end of the day.  However, even on a regular diet of good food with regular, intense exercise, two to three glasses of wine between dinner and bedtime had an effect. I was always, always, getting up to use the head two hours after going to sleep. 

I told myself it was because I had been using my Ipad, or was watching TV before bed, or had just succumbed to the inevitable changes of a forty something man.  Nope.  It was the wine.

It turns out that being dry means sleeping deeply, soundly and without disturbance.  I highly recommend not drinking just for that pleasure.

The next good reason is a state of mental clarity.  I am simply clearer and calmer in all respects.  Maybe it's the lack of alcohol, maybe it's the improved sleep.  No matter, it is a notable benefit.

A third reason is more money in your pocket.  Three bottles of wine a week, or a fifth of Royal Crown 7 every two weeks, and the diet 7Up to go with it all added up.  It is a  notable amount.

A fourth reason is better body composition with less fat.  Alcohol has a proven health benefit, so I've read.  On the other hand, it is used by your body as energy before anything else is, so if you drink and dine or snack, then you are often left with a stomach full of otherwise useful food that is turned into fat cells because the sugar in your alcohol got burned first.

If you don't have alcohol in your system, then your body burns the real food you ate, and if you are otherwise eating well, that is the desirable outcome. 

That leads to the obvious fat loss that comes from cutting the three to six hundred daily calories in the alcohol consumed.

I was on vacation in Florida with some friends when I had a drink.  I was there for three days and had a total of five cocktails.  Here it is August 30 and I can say with certainty that I've had five drinks since July 7, and that I am much better for it.

Bottom line, if you can stop drinking regularly, you will be happy that you did. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment